Sunday, February 12, 2012

Slow start but speeding up now!

Did you know that books are living and breathing things?  They are. I'll explain in a moment. I had a meeting with my professor a few weeks ago with my mock up.  She liked what she saw and told me to case it in.  Then to let it live at home for a week, then bring it up to the 5th floor and see what it would do.

All books have different elements in them.  Paper - machine made or handmade.  Adhesive - Animal, synthetic or grain i.e wheat/rice paste. Thread weight. Board construction, etc.  All of these make a difference to how the book reacts to humidity and temperature.  So taking a constructed book to different environments will help you see, literally, how it reacts.  Do the boards of the case bow in or out?  Warp?  Is the paper on correctly on the cover and folded correctly in the text block?  If not, then that too can affect its' performance.

Since I am using handmade paper for everything.  This is very important.  All that being said I, as far as I know, did everything right.  Including sizing my paper when I made it.  It did not do anything weird here at the house and last time I checked it at school, it looked good to.  I meet this Thursday with her again.

After I got that done.  I became lazy!!  Time began to slip away and my calendar was getting messed up do to my lack of doing.  So I lit a fire under my rear end and away I've gone.  Late last week I trimmed all sections, collated each book and punched the holes to sew.  Yesterday and today, I spent sewing all 50 books.  I'm doing a French Web sewing style.  I really like it.  I is fairly straight forward and looks pretty after it's done.  Of course, it will all be covered up once the next step is accomplished.  Here are pics of part of the process.



Sewing sections together

Boning down each section after sewing
You can kinda see the sewing form.


No comments:

Post a Comment